NCDRCAs per the announcement by the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC), consumer organizations, RWAs (Residents’ Welfare Associations) and cooperative societies of homebuyers have to be registered to be able to file allegations or complaints against the developers.

The phrase “voluntary consumer association” had some vagueness attached to it which has been cleared by stating that this term means the association or society being registered under the Companies Act of 1956.

The commission cleared the air by also saying that any Trust is not allowed to file a complaint in the name of a group or any consumer.

The main motive of the commission is to analyze, communicate, protect and encourage the consumers’ interests.

The body or association coming forward and filing a complaint should be formed by a group of people who are doing this in their own interest and are not influenced by any financial motives.

NCDRC will also have to qualify and be eligible for being a voluntary consumer association. If it has financial motives behind the formation and is not serving the benefits of the consumers, then it will not be considered as voluntary consumer association.

Any organization which is formed for the benefit of common people should be credible enough and this clarity will speed up the entire process of cases. The buyers will be asked to get their associations registered if they want the court to hear their case.