As a part of initiative to settle the slum dwellers the DDA had taken up redevelopment of three clusters in Kalkaji Extension — Bhoomiheen Camp, Navjeevan Camp and Jawaharlal Nehru Camp.

In its first phase of developing 2,800 EWS flats at Kalkaji Extension as part of an in situ slum redevelopment initiative, Delhi Development Authority (DDA) has initiated the second phase of the project with 5,382 flats to be readied for slum dwellers in a public-private-partnership mode.

DDA had taken up in situ slum redevelopment of three clusters in Kalkaji Extension —Bhoomiheen Camp , Navjeevan Camp and Jawaharlal Nehru Camp. While the process of relocating the first batch of slum dwellers to EWS flats is underway, it has floated tenders for rehabilitation of residents of Navjeevan Camp and Jawaharlal Nehru Camp.

As part of the PPP project, there would be a specified covered area, along with development of sites for various facilities like internal water supply, sewerage, solid waste management, internal roads, storm water drains, internal and external electrification, horticulture work and other community services.

The project is spread across 19 acres of land, the private developer would use about 15.8 acres (83%) for slum redevelopment and the remaining 3.2 acres (17%) can be taken by the developer as the remunerative component of the project. DDA has proposed a floor area ratio of 300 for the commercial component of the project, while 4,450 square metres would be designated for social infrastructure, like community halls, health centres etc.

As per the details of the tender, once the rehabilitation project is complete within the stipulated three-year construction period, in that event the developer would be given the right to recover its investment through the sale of the remunerative land parcel, which is being set up at 17% of the proposed site. It will be given to the developer on a freehold basis for development according to prevalent land use and norms. The land then belongs to the developer and he will have the rights to sell his portion of land and the revenue earned will be in his name solely.

In this way DDA gets hold of the developed project for free and gives the same to EWS category citizens.

The area from which slum dwellers would be shifted to the 2,800 flats constructed by DDA on a vacant land parcel would be cleared for creating the next phase of the project. DDA has created 14-storey tall residential towers, which would house slum dwellers living in the nearby areas. Recently, DDA had decided the eligibility of 679 households where documents were found to be complete. A draw of lots was conducted on February 17 for allotment of flats. For the remaining households of Bhoomiheen Camp, deficiency letters were issued to the slum dwellers requesting them to submit the necessary documents. All eligible slum dwellers would be provided the flats on payment of Rs 1.4 lakh, including Rs 30,000 as maintenance charges for five years.