The kitchen is the most important area in any home. The correct positioning, aura and structure of the kitchen is critical to ensure the wellbeing and happiness of the family living in the house. Kitchen is not only the place where meals are cooked, it is the place where the family members come together to relish the food and have meaningful discussions over the meals. After all, a family which eats together, stays together! Here are few vastu tips of do’s and don’ts to keep in mind while planning your kitchen.
Vastu Tips for Kitchen
- Correct Direction – The perfect direction considered for the kitchen is the southeast direction of the house. The entrance of the kitchen is also very important. The door of the kitchen should be on the east, west, or north side.
- Position of the Kitchen – The kitchen doesn’t have to share any of its walls with the washroom or the toilet as these are the places where waste is disposed. In multi-storey buildings also, the kitchen should never be made below or above the washroom/toilet.
- Refrigerator – Refrigerators in the kitchen must be placed 12 inches away from the corner and should be placed in the South-East direction. Since most of the kitchen appliances are related to fire they should be placed in the southeast direction. The north-east direction should completely be avoided.
- Gas Stoves/ Cooking ranges – The stove is one of the most essential parts of the kitchen and it represents the fire element thus it should be placed in the southeast corner of the kitchen. Also, the person while cooking should be facing the east direction
- Sinks/Washbasins/Taps – These symbolizes flowing water and should always be kept in the northeast direction opposite the gas stove. Also, the sink and stove should never be kept beside each other as the opposite elements and repel each other.
- Windows – Windows should be placed in the east direction. You can add the exhaust fans to the windows to keep your kitchen ventilated and breathable. Else separate exhaust fans should be installed in the southern direction of the kitchen.
- Storage – Kitchen needs a lot of storage space. According to the Vastu principle, storage shelves and cupboards should be fitted in the southern and western walls of the kitchen. Two directions you should avoid are the northern and eastern walls.
- Drinking Water – According to Vastu Shastra, the placement of the drinking water is very important. Water bottles, R/O purifiers, earthen pot, or any water-related vessels should be kept in the northeast direction.
- Electronic Appliances – All sorts of kitchen electrical appliances must be kept in the south or south east. North east direction should be totally avoided.
- Colour – The colour on your kitchen walls should be vibrant such as yellow, red, green and orange as it will not only make your kitchen Vastu compliant but also improve the look of your kitchen and make it trendier.
Another important Vastu tip for kitchen – If you have your dining table inside the kitchen then try having at least one meal together on the dining, it works greatly for the bonding of the family members. The most suitable direction for the dining table is the west or the north-west direction.
These are some basic and simple Vastu tips for a kitchen. However, you are strictly advised to consult your Vastu-expert before making changes to your kitchen as the Vaastu Shastra for kitchen also works as per the location, position and direction of the kitchen.